North Region Tour 2023
MSQ President, Susanne Milenkevich, and MSQ VP North, Bert Collyer, recently spent one week visiting all eight MSQ Clubs in the North Region and others as part of MSQ’s revitalisation initiative for the region for 2024.
Over 750km were covered driving from Townsville to the Atherton Tablelands, to Port Douglas and to Cairns and surrounds with visits to seven pools and one lake!
Highlights of this trip included:
- Susanne and Bert enjoyed a swim with members from Long Tan Legends and Rats of Tobruk under the coaching of Regan Leong
- Dinner with JB (QRT), Tony (QLT) and Bindi (QTA)
- An informal meet with Tobruk Memorial Baths lessee, Luke, and tour of the pool venue
- On deck meet and greet with Anita at Malanda Aquatic Dragons
- Lake Barrine OWS swim for Susanne with Atherton Mountaineers
- Dinner with Mike (QAT) and Mountaineers
Cairns and Surrounds
- Coffee meeting with Irene and Iain from Mossman Meteors
- On deck meeting with Cairns Clams representatives Cheryl and Ted at Tobruk Pool, Cairns
- A swim for Susanne at Gordonvale the Mud Crabs and a morning tea chat after
- Dinner with Cheryl, Brian and Ted (QCS) and Sandra (QBM)
- A final swim for Susanne at Smithfield with Bunna-barra and an on-deck chat with Sandra and the team
Across all meetings, discussions and swims, there was a positive outlook for working on revitalisation of the North Region in 2024 with excitement for a great calendar of pool competition and OWS offerings.
Working toward growing clubs with a focus on social swimming and health benefits is also very important to the Region to support the community and the clubs collectively. Susanne and Bert look forward to working with the clubs to further these goals in addition to the competitive offerings.
A big thank you to Sam Brown, Susanne’s husband and QRC member, for driving all but one hour of this trip to keep Susanne and Bert on track for all the meetings, swims, and dinners!
Thank you to all who helped to make this tour a success and we look forward to seeing successful growth and event deliveries in 2024!